Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 2- Cooking Show with Chicken

Did I mention my daughter loves Food Network? She calls it "the cooking show". She usually gets up, eats breakfast and then I ask her if she would like to watch Disney while I feed her little brother. She says, " No mommy. I want to watch the cooking show please."! This does tie in, I promise!

So I made Chicken Casserole last night. My prep time was way off as usual. I figured out that if I set all the ingredients out in the beginning rather than getting them as I go, my recipe goes much more smoothly. Andrea kept peeking in to see what I was doing. She got closer and closer until I realized she was standing on her "ladder" (a step-stool) right next to me watching me cook.

I really didn't have as much to cut up this time (and I managed to cut my fingernail in half...), it was just an odd recipe that made me look at the paper 8464 times. I was concentrating on browning the chicken, something I've never done, when Andrea screamed, " GO FASTER MOMMY! YOUR GOING TO LOSE!" I seriously about splattered hot oil all over the both of us because it scared me to death. I must have given her a crazy look because she RAN out of the kitchen. (Do you see why I never cook?! haha) A few minutes later she returned and got on the "ladder" again and then she starts screaming again. I said," Andrea, what on earth are you screaming about?" She said," Mommy, if you don't go faster, you are going to lose the cooking show and then we wont win any money!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Evidently there must be some sort of contest show on cooking network. I know there is a show called Worst Cooks in America that I could probably qualify for appearing on, but I hope she doesn't know/realize I'm that bad! haha I love my sweet, crazy child.

Anyhow, as for the recipe, there isn't too much to tell. I was much more confident although the prep is still taking some time. I'm sure that I will get faster as I get used to it and as I learn the recipes better. I would definitely recommend skinning the chicken first and letting all the spices sit on the chicken rather than the skin. It also cooked about 20 minutes longer than the cooking time posted, but I think that was due to the fact that I didn't brown the chicken long enough on the stovetop. My husband loved it and Andrea ate every last bite (she didn't touch Night #1 at all). So, needless to say, this is our first "Family Approved Meal"! Yay! :)

Chicken Casserole- By: Healthy Meals in Minutes
Prep Time: 35 mins
Bake Time: 30 mins

3 mdm russet potatoes, sliced 1/2 in thick
2 T veggie oil
1 2 1/2 to 3 lb chicken, cut into pieces *(I just bought pre-cut chicken from Publix)*
1 t. poultry seasoning, divided
1/2 t. black pepper, divided
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 T imitation bacon bits
sliced green onion for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 10 mins. Drain well.
2. While potatoes are cooking, in a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over med. heat. Add chicken; cook until well browned on all sides, about 10 mins. Place browned chicken in a 2-quart casserole; sprinkle with 1/2 t. of poultry seasoning and 1/4 t. of pepper. Set aside.
3.Add the potato slices to skillet and cook until well browned, about 5 mins per side. Add potato and onion slices to the casserole with the chicken; stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with remaining poultry seasoning and pepper. Top with parsley and bacon bits.
4. Cover the dish with foil and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 to 30 mins. Garnish with green onions. Serve immediately. (To cut fat content, do not eat skin. Nutritional data is based on skinned chicken.)-Here's a picture of my finished product below!

Per Serving:
Calories- 423 (56% from fat)
Carbs- 17 g
Protein-29 g
Sodium- 137 mg
Fat-26 g
Cholesterol-107 mg





No comments:

Post a Comment