Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 11: A little mistake made it perfect! :)

*Why are these coming every few days instead of every night? I cooked spaghetti Wednesday because Andrea had asked if we could have her favorite and since she has been great at trying everything I cooked, I let her have her way. Friday night, Russ took me on a date and then Saturday, he asked if we could eat out because he would rather I take the hour it takes to cook and spend it with him and the kids. *

Moo shu pork was on the menu Thursday night.  I had to run to the grocery store again (I failed to get around to going just once this week because...well I'm not sure why to be honest) and get all the ingredients that I don't keep around the kitchen. For example: soy sauce and sesame oil. After the last fiasco with the cream-of-chicken soup, I also picked up some chicken broth, just to be safe. I dragged Russ and the kids along on this excursion as well since he wanted to spend some time with us. He was not too happy, but forgot about it once I finished supper.

I'm not sure why, but everyone was in the kitchen that night. They were all watching and giving advice. I love them, but I ignored them. I was trying to read the recipe card about how to make the "pancakes". They seem to be this funky little tortilla thing that you put the pork on. I made the dough for them, and after fighting with the sticky stuff for 5 minutes I managed to get it wrapped in plastic wrap in some sort of disk shape. (Actually, it was more of a ball, but who cares?) Then I throw it in the freezer and start working on the main part of the dish.

I cut up the pepper, onion, and pork tenderloin, and got the food into the skillet and cooking in less than 10 minutes. This is definitely a record for me. Plus, the onion didn't make me cry. I'm not really sure what was going on, but I was getting really excited that everything was going well! There was absolutely no discouragement about the meal! Then my timer went off to get the dough for the "pancakes".

I take my "disk" out of the freezer and open it up. I try to sprinkle flour so I can roll out the dough to cut out disks. Um...yeah. The dough mixture was stuck to my hand. It wasn't coming off either. I carried the thing to the garbage can and started waving my hand around like I was swatting at a bee until it flung into the garbage. Russ said, "You know you could have just put it in the freezer for another few minutes and it would have been easier to work with." I told him to shut-up which began a lecture from Andrea about how shut-up is a bad word.... At least I know she listens occasionally.

At this point, I grabbed some tortillas out of the pantry. I threw 4 of them onto the counter and cut them in half with my pizza cutter. I put them onto 2 cookie sheets and let Andrea "paint" them with sesame oil. Then I threw them into the oven at 350 degrees. I'm just winging it at this point with the tortillas because there was no cooking directions on the back of the package so I have no idea how long they should be in the oven. The pork mixture was cooking fine and Russ asked if I could help him with some laundry.I ran to the laundry room and was in there for probably 7 or 8 minutes when I remembered the tortillas. I ran back to the kitchen and pulled them out and they had this weird, pita bread consistency. You could snap them, but they weren't hard to eat. They were....I guess crunchy is the best way to describe it. And with the sesame oil on top, so, so good. Russ and Andrea (and well Jake too because he was attached to Russ' hip) mysteriously disappeared from the kitchen along with a crispy tortilla. At least I know how to get rid of the "advisors" next time. haha

I got finished with the pork and we ate every last bit of it. Russ and Andrea both asked if we could make it again before the 30 days is up so I'm pretty sure we have another "Family Approved Meal". Yay!

Moo Shu Pork- By: Healthy Meals in Minutes
Serves 4
1 mdm yellow onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 mdm red bell pepper, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 pork tenderloin (about 3/4 lb), cut into 1-inch strips
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
FOR THE PANCAKES
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup boiling water
1 tsp sesame oil

1. To prepare pancakes, in a mdm bowl, combine flour, water, and oil; stir until a dough forms. Shape dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 10 minutes.
2. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each dough piece into a 6-inch round.
3. Spray a large skillet with veggie cooking spray. Heat skillet over mdm heat. Place 1 pancake in skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden, 2 minutes. Place on a plate. Cover with foil and keep warm. Repeat with more cooking spray and remaining pancakes.
4. Spray same skillet with more cooking spray. Heat skillet over mdm heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Stir-fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add pork, broth, green onions, and soy sauce. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Place pork mixture on a serving dish. Serve immediately with pancakes.
** Here is my finished picture of the pork. Sorry, no picture of the tortillas.**

No comments:

Post a Comment