Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 6- Queen of the grill!

I used the grill. Huge accomplishment. Let me back track a little and tell you why I was banned from the grill for a while:

Before I bought the current "ultimate man grill" for Russ last Father's Day, we had this rinky dink little thing that was way overused. I know that when you turn on the gas and then add fire, it can go poof. Well, I turned on the grill on our back porch (which is covered btw) and Andrea was crying about something (Remember this is pre-Jake so I had it so easy and didn't realize it with just one child...) so I ran inside and tended to her for a little bit. Anyhow, I go back out the back door and like an idiot I'm playing with the lighter just flipping the little switch over and over. I'm about 10 foot away from the grill when this fireball erupts from my hand all the way to the grill. The neighbor kids were probably looking at me like I had just blew up a bomb on the back porch. I immediately felt for my eyebrows. Andrea had came to the back door still mad and even she was laughing hysterically and asking 8 million questions. After Russ cried from laughing upon hearing of it later (as usual, he was at school) he told me it would be a good idea if I stayed away from the grill for a while. Once he got the current grill, he said no one was allowed to use it because it was his baby. Well, he never grills so I used it anyway....

Okay, so back to Day 6. We had honey grilled pork chops. After I properly lit the grill, which in itself was a triumph, I scraped it off and ran inside to finish up the marinade. I forgot one pack of meat in the freezer to thaw and only had two pork chops so I ended up having to thaw two in the microwave (of which I had to call my grandmother for instructions on how to do this. I'm telling you, completely clueless when it comes to cooking.) I finally get the marinade done and it is barely enough to cover the bottom of my "shallow dish" and it's so thick. I go rogue and add a little more pineapple juice. It made it thin enough to put two of the pork chops and the pineapple slices in it and stick in the fridge to marinate. The two that I spent time thawing out I put store bought honey barbecue sauce on it. I'm not a fan of making something different for my child because she needs to learn to eat what I make or not eat at all. (That may sound harsh, but I'm not going to cook separate meals for everyone, every night. I just don't have the time or patience. More power to those who do.) I didn't have enough marinade anyway though, so I wasn't too worried with it.

After the pork chops were marinated, I slapped them on the grill on medium heat, closed the lid and checked the recipe. It says I have 6-8 minutes. So I start on the sides. I go back out a few minutes later and the stupid things are burnt on one side. My husband says that they are supposed to burn on the bone, but I have to go check on them while they're cooking. I can't just leave them for 6-8 minutes and expect them to be beautiful. I yell "Well they should write that on the stupid card." and vow not to ask him any more questions when I'm cooking because he may end up divorcing me. haha

I went out and checked on the flipped pork chops and ended up cooking the pineapple eventually as well. I ended up only charring one pork chop and the rest turned out edible and surprisingly good. Andrea ate some of our pork chops and we ate some of hers so that she could try the marinade. She really enjoyed it so I'll make a little extra marinade next time. Once again "Family Approved"! So much for only knowing how to cook 5 or 6 meals!

Honey-Grilled Pork Chops- By: Healthy Meals in Minutes
Serves 4
4 center-cut loin pork chops with bone (about 4 oz each), inch thick, trimmed
For the marinade:
1 can (8 oz) sliced pineapple in unsweetened juice
1/3 cup honey
1 T. prepared mustard
1 t. curry powder
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
1/8 t. hot pepper sauce
green onion strips for garnish (optional)

1. To prepare marinade, drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon of juice. In a shallow glass dish, combine honey, mustard, reserved juice, curry powder, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Mix well. Set aside 2 tablespoons of marinade.
2. Add pork chops and pineapple to remaining marinade in dish, turning to coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a charcoal grill until coals form white ash or preheat a gas grill to medium. Place pork chops on grill rack. Discard marinade in dish. Baste with reserved marinade. Grill 4 inches from heat until cooked through and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side.
4. Add pineapple slices to grill during the last 5 minutes of pork grilling. Grill, turning once, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Garnish with green onion strips. Serve immediately.
**Picture of my finished product.**


Per Serving:
Calories- 414 (34% from fat)
Carbs- 33 g
Protein- 36 g
Sodium- 397 mg
Fat- 16 g
Cholesterol- 112 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment