Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 12- Bacon attracts toddlers

Sunday night I got home from choir and a quick grocery trip and was wanting something easy to make. I found a chicken club sandwich recipe I was wanting to try. A lot of these recipes are things that we already like, but I've never put forth the effort to learn to cook them. Anyhow, Russ wanted to try them too, but it was kind of late already so I made Andrea some macaroni-and-cheese (her favorite meal) and that was going to be her supper (seriously she eats enough for it to be her supper).

I threw the chicken on the broiler and that was about the hardest thing I did. Andrea was wanting to watch so she stood next too me while I cut up the tomatoes, started the bacon on the stove, and got the carrots and lettuce out to make a salad to go with the sandwiches.

Did I mention that Russ loves tomatoes and Andrea loves bacon? No? Okay, well this was a problem. I had the tomatoes on the island which is directly across from my stove. When I had my back to the island cooking the bacon, they were sneaking tomato slices. Russ was instigating it and then getting Andrea to participate. Such a bad influence...haha. Anyhow, I finished the bacon and Andrea starts giggling while I'm chopping the carrots with my back to the stove and the plate of freshly cooked bacon. Russ starts talking to me with this smirk on his face. I realize that he's not looking at me, he's looking past me. Now Andrea is stealing bacon! What in the world?! How am I supposed to get anything done! I told her to go on because she had already eaten. So she leaves, comes back and is all lovey-dovey and I pick her up and start talking to her and Russ is back to stealing tomatoes. She cracks up, walks over and picks up some bacon. I immediately kicked both of them out of the kitchen. They made it to the dinner table and sat there watching me like a couple of begging dogs. Once I finally got done with supper, Russ and I had to hurry up and get enough bacon for our sandwiches so the little bacon thief wouldn't get to all of them. Plus, Russ' salad was almost completely red from tomatoes. It's safe to say I had about 2 little pieces of tomato in mine.

I guess I should take it as a compliment...?

By the way, I'm not a fan of yogurt at all so we didn't use the sauce in the recipe. I used mayonnaise and Russ used ranch on our sandwiches. We didn't double stack as the recipe suggests and we also used good 'ole fattening, regular bacon rather than turkey bacon.  It was "Family Approved", but this is definitely more of a lunch than a supper!

Chicken Club Sandwiches- By: Healthy Meals in Minutes
Makes 2 Sandwiches
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz each)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 strips turkey bacon, cut in half crosswise (optional)
2 T plain nonfat yogurt
1 T Dijon-style mustard
6 slices whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted
4 romaine lettuce leaves
1 mdm tomato, thinly sliced

1. Preheat broiler. Spray the broiler pan with veggie cooking spray.
2. Brush chicken with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Place chicken on prepared pan. Broil chicken, 6 inches from heat, turning once, until cooked through and no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook bacon according to package directions. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
4. In a small bowl, combine yogurt and mustard. Mix well. Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally, and then in half crosswise, making a total of 8 slices.
5. Spread half of yogurt mixture over 2 slices of toast. Place 1 lettuce leaf, some tomato slices, 2 chicken slices, and 2 pieces of bacon, if using, on top of each toast slice. Place another slice of toast on top; repeat layering with remaining ingredients and toast. Slice the sandwiches in half diagonally.
**Picture of my finished product with the salad and fruit. **

1 comment:

  1. This one is fairly short as I had a lot of problems posting it last night and it wasn't the most exciting night because it was an easy meal. Give me a few days though and I should be back to my crazy self in the kitchen. Tonight we are trying something new and I still have one more post going up tomorrow morning from Monday night. :)

    ReplyDelete